Thank you for considering Circling Rivers as a home for your work. We are open to fiction, nonfiction, and poetry set primarily in North America. We welcome novella-length fiction, long-form nonfiction, and short story and poetry collections. We are also interested in interactive (multi-touch) works. If you are an anthologist, send us your concept.
Send us compelling works that convey a strong sense of place and time — whether 200 or 10 years ago, just last month, or 100 years in the future.
Coming of age and “cross-over” children’s/YA/adult books are welcome, but we’re not seeking category children’s, MG, or YA. Love stories and speculative fiction are welcome, but we’re not seeking category science fiction, fantasy, mystery, romance, or erotica.
To submit your work to Circling Rivers
IMPORTANT: We respond to all queries that comply with our simple guidelines. If you don’t hear back from us within eight weeks, chances are your query did not reach us or it did not comply with the following guidelines and was deleted without consideration. Please try again.
- Include your work’s total word count (page count for poetry).
- Put the words QUERY + your name + the title of your work in your subject line.
- FICTION: Send a query and a sample: the first three chapters of your novel or two short stories.
- POETRY: Send a query and a sample of up to 10 poems.
- NONFICTION & INTERACTIVE: Send a brief cover letter including your credentials, a succinct proposal (the overall concept + a descriptive sentence for each chapter), and a writing sample of about 2000 words.
- If you have a website, include a link to it.
- Send everything in the body of the email. NO attachments will be accepted.
- Send your query to JeanH [at] CirclingRivers [dot] com