IMPORTANT: We read and respond only to queries that comply with our simple guidelines.
Thank you for considering Circling Rivers as a home for your work. Please review “More information for writers” below. If you think your work might be a fit, please send via email:
1. Cover letter including:
- Word count and category (genre) of your work
- One sentence summing up what your book is about (sometimes called a “log line”).
- One succinct paragraph about your book, written in a way that would draw a total stranger to read it. (Helpful but not required: Name two or three published books that compare to yours.)
- One paragraph about yourself.
2. For fiction & nonfiction: Synopsis of your book, from beginning to end, 500 words maximum
3. Ten pages of the work you’re submitting, preferably the first 10 pages
Send everything in the body of the email. NO attachments accepted.
The subject line should read: QUERY: your last name, the title of your work.
Send your query to Jean Huets.
More information for writers…
We are open to English-language fiction and nonfiction set primarily in North America, and poetry set anywhere. We welcome novella-length fiction, long-form nonfiction, short story and poetry collections, and books on crafts and food. If you are an anthologist, send us your concept.
We are not seeking category children’s, MG, or YA. Love stories and speculative fiction are welcome, but we’re not seeking category science fiction, fantasy, mystery, romance, or erotica.
Circling Rivers is a small, fledgling press. This impacts our authors in several ways. We offer modest advances, and we don’t have a dedicated sales force and publicity department. We won’t take on a book we can’t sell, and we don’t expect writers to be marketing experts, but each author must be involved in getting the word out about his or her work.
We plan to grow thoughtfully, with the understanding that a small press must build a reputation not only among readers and reviewers, but among writers. We’re drawn to the author, known or unknown, whose work offers insight and depth, beautiful writing, and the wondrous absorption of reading. We’re not interested in emulating large publishers, with star, mid-list, and “maybe” writers, or small presses that sign books indiscriminately, knock them through production, then let them sink or swim. Each writer who publishes with Circling Rivers gets our full respect and focus, and the benefit of our skills in all aspects of publishing.